Work-related stress - information for employers
Although there is no law dealing specifically with stress at work, as an employer your Health and Safety responsibilities include protecting your employees against the negative effect of long-term job-related stress. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has included work-related stress into its health and safety audits since 2003. Despite this, The Chartered Institute for Personnel and Development annual Health and Wellbeing at Work Survey (2018) says that
- 86% of businesses taking part in the survey report observing ‘presenteeism’ over the last 12 months.
- The number of businesses taking steps to prevent presenteeism has changed from 48% to 25% since 2016.
- The number of reported mental health conditions in employees has increased from 41% in 2016 to 55% in 2018.
- There has been an increase in stress-related absence from 31% in 2016 to 37% in 2018.
- Mental health issues of various kinds are the most likely cause of long-term absence (55%).
- Businesses who introduce health and well-being activities see increased employee morale and engagement (44%), a healthier workplace culture (35%) and reduced sickness absence (31%).
Wellbeing and resilience training for your staff
Many complementary therapists offer help with work-related stress but, in the end, only provide relaxation. Whilst this has its part to play, real stress management is so much more.
Because I am trained in a wide variety of disciplines, I can offer a more varied and effective approach. Contact me for details of cost-effective stress awareness or reduction training for staff:
- bespoke and 'off the shelf' options available
- one to one stress management coaching at your workplace or at my clinic
- anger management and assertiveness training
- presentations, workshops and seminars for staff at all levels
I am also happy to discuss providing pastoral support for your employees, such as one to one counselling help with smoking cessation, weight control and other issues providing a discounted or subsidised service to those of your employees who choose to see me privately outside your place of work.