Debbie's Hypnotherapy Blogs
5 ways hypnotherapy can help your relationship
We all experience relationship difficulties at times, and can either end up carrying unresolved issues for long periods of time, or sadly breaking up. Our relationships naturally go through ups and downs; sometimes we're very happy and at others we can feel alone and isolated, or perhaps just miserable. Lack of communication is often one of the greatest problems in relationships.
Your partner should be the one person you can talk to about anything, but sometimes it’s hard even to find the time to try, especially if you are juggling kids, work and other commitments. Maybe you are too busy, or there are other 'more essential' things you have to tackle, or you just feel too tired and drained at the end of the day.
The difficulty is that ignoring problems often brings about complications and additional stress down the road. And if you feel unhappy, angry or anxious, this can be passed onto your partner and children in a kind of emotional 'pass the parcel', which helps nobody.
It is these kinds of situations that hypnotherapy is so good at helping, and it does this in a number of ways, aimed at helping to improve your coping skills when you are under pressure. Every person is different, of course, and so is every relationship, but typically hypnotherapy might cover some or all of the following:
- We can identify and deal with any underlying problems in your unconscious mind that might be hampering your relationship, or your ability to genuinely feel close to your partner.
- We can look at ways to reduce any stress, anxiety or tension that you are experiencing, whether that is coming from your relationship or elsewhere.
- We can establish a better work/life balance, or improve your time management skills, to give you more opportunities to actually enjoy your relationship and being together.
- By improving your confidence and self esteem we can help you feel more relaxed and comfortable discussing your feelings with your partner.
- By increasing your motivation we can help you take action, to make sure your relationship stays on track in the future.
Hypnotherapy is not couples counselling. I work with one person at a time, but this doesn’t mean that the person who elects to come and see me is the one "to blame" for the relationship difficulties. Often it's just the person who feels they have the fewest strategies for dealing with the situation, or the one who is carrying issues from past relationships into a new one.
Sometimes it helps for both of you to undertake some kind of therapy, and if I think this is the case I'll advise you. That's why at first it’s a good idea to make an appointment for a free information session, which you both attend, before you decide how to proceed.
Once that's been decided, using a combination of methods and specialist techniques, hypnosis can help to bring you closer together, help you regain trust and build on your future together, allowing you to enjoy your time with each other and put that spark back into your relationship.
Debbie Waller is a professional hypnotherapist, specialising in stress, anxiety and related issues. She also offers EMDR which is used for trauma, PTSD, phobias and OCD and publishes hypnotherapy-for-ibs.co.uk for those interested in using hypnotherapy to relieve the symptoms of irritbale bowel syndrome.
Debbie owns a multi accredited hypnotherapy school, Yorkshire Hypnotherapy Training and offers further training for qualified therapists via CPD Expert. She is the author of Their Worlds, Your Words, editor and contributor to the online magazine Hypnotherapy Training & Practitioner, and co-author of The Hypnotherapy Handbook.
For more information on any of these services, phone 01977 678593.